Councillor Antonella Celi
|Posted by antonellaceli on March 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM|
Here is an inquiry to ponder upon The Citizen Initiated Referendum Bill 2013.
"The reasons for the referral are for the Committee to consider:
1. Citizens' Initiated Referendum (CIR) promotes greater openness and accountability in pulblic decision-making.
2. Laws instituted as a result of a CIR are more clearly derived from the popular expre!ssion of the people's will.
3. Government authority flows from the people and is based upon their consent.
4. Citizens in a democracy have the responsibility to participate in the political system.
5. The Inter Parliamentary Union's call on member states to strengthen democracy through constitutional instruments including the citizen's right to initiate legislation.
Submissions should be received by 19 April 2013. The reporting date is 24 June 2013."
More info here: